It’s been a while since my last post – sorry just been a bit lazy (I knew this would never be a proper blog).
Anyway, the restoration of the Beetle were completed in August 2014. I got it to the stage where it was running, 95% fitted out (headliner, carpets and door cards still needed to be fitted), and I could get it in for an MOT.
Thankfully it passed! This meant that I could drive the car to near Woodbridge in Suffolk (yes I know it’s a long way!) to get the inside fit out completed. I had to go to Suffolk because I couldn’t find anyone else who would do the job using parts and materials (kits) that I’d already bought. There is somebody local to me who is a very well respected vehicle trimmer – but seems to concentrate on high end refits and wanted to charge thousands. Not what I needed.
During the journey to the MOT I noticed that my front tyres were rubbing when I turned the steering wheel. Doh! I had fitted larger than standard tyres to my new wheels but hadn’t taken account of the fact that the previous owner had fitted dropped spindles. I managed to get and fit a set of standard spindles – and just to make sure I replaced the tyres with standard 155R 15 tyres. Everything is now hunky dory!
Since this point I have done very little to the car apart from taking it on a few drives locally when the sun had decided to shine. A new set of period style seat belts and replacement original hubcaps took the restoration a little further and made a huge difference to how the car looked.
After a few months I managed to work out why the engine tray on one side was continually blessed with a treatment of fresh engine oil. The oil pressure sensor was leaking – but not from the thread – it was leaking from where the terminal is fitted. I replaced this and the appearance of oil stopped.
The second new MOT was received in late July 2015 with no issues whatsoever! Very pleasing but shouldn’t be unexpected all things considered.
Since then I’ve even showed the car at my local Tetbury Classic Car Show – and won a small prize. I think this was for the most ‘sympathetic’ restoration – i.e. the organisers/judges liked the fact that I hadn’t changed things from standard – no bling, no wide wheels, no lary paint job (you get the picture).
The car is also, now, sporting a reversing light which I hadn’t managed to fit during the main post restoration work. It’s installed now – and works! Proof is in the picture below: